Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO BOX 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
Cards must be postmarked by December 7, 2012 and must follow these guidelines:
- Ensure that all cards are signed.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
- Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
- If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
There is an image circulating on Facebook that requests all cards be sent to Walter Reed Hospital. DO NOT SEND CARDS THERE! They will NOT be delivered!
Read more about this here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walterreed.asp
Read more about the Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp and here: http://www.redcross.org//ca/los-angeles/ways-to-donate/individual-gifts/holiday-mail-for-heroes